Our almost 2 year old dog Fred lives on our farm and suffers from an allergy to certain grasses (or perhaps all). Anyway, when I sprayed Fred's paws and rear legs after he'd been vigorously scratching and licking them frantically, he acted as if he'd been stung. He almost turned into what looked like a bucking horse. I used the product undiluted, but thought maybe because the liquid would have been cold, that was the issue. Each time I used it on him though, he ran in circles, to one end of the room and back and jumped up and down. Fortunately I do believe the redness reduced a little by the next day. On the other hand, the spray bottle is not so efficient. To reach my tall dogs paws, I have to lean down and if the bottle isn't upright, it doesn't spray very well. Also, I don't particularly like the smell of the product. Your other anti-scratch product I also bought, on the other hand, seems to work better and smells lovely.